Power Nap

I took a power nap today. Just FYI, power nap is short for Powerful Nap. Because mine was seriously powerful. I started feeling very sleepy around noon and figured it was Violet's naptime anyway, so I could just lie down with her for a few.

I mentioned to Ivy how tired I was. In all her 4 year old wisdom, she said, "You go ahead and lie down wif Violet. I'll just stay up and play vewy quietly." She sounded so reasonable. Even though I knew she was just trying to avoid a nap of her own, I decided to go for it. I would nap with Violet while my 4 year old played unsupervised. Sounded like a responsible idea, at least in my exhausted mind. Besides, I would only be about 5 or 10 minutes and then I could get up and make her some lunch.

I gratefully laid down with Violet, and as I immediately started drifting into blissful rest, it occurred to me that this was probably not a good idea. What if Ivy wrapped something around her neck and suffocated? What if she tried to eat a snack and choked? What kind of a parent am I, anyway?? All these thoughts came to me as I was drifting off into my Powerful Nap. But I was past the point of no return. The Powerful Nap had me in its inexorable grip. I struggled feebly against it, but this was a black hole of sleepiness from which I could not extricate myself. As I got sucked deeper and deeper into it, the thought crossed my mind that Ivy was actually extremely quiet. Unnaturally quiet. And then, nothing... I was totally asleep and most likely drooling a little.

As time went on and I replenished my energy a little I was able to struggle a little to the surface, but not enough to actually stir in any way. I could not hear Ivy at all. She was probably dead by now. Hm, well then it's too late anyway, my subconscious whispered evilly, no point in waking up now....

I drifted back into the welcoming blackness, who knows for how long, unable to muster up any sort of ability to wake up. Four years of sleep deprivation had finally caught up with me.

Eventually, Ivy came into the room to wake me up. She was alive and well, and apparently very hungry since she had missed lunch while I was busy being a neglectful parent. I glanced at the clock with bleary eyes. An hour had passed. An hour in which my daughter played quietly all on her own without accidentally dying. Thank God. Next time I will think twice about submitting to the urge for a Powerful Nap.

What do you do when you are exhausted beyond all comprehension and you have no one to help with the kids? Do you still try to power nap?

Comments

  1. WHAAAAAT, you got an hour nap with no horrible consequences! wow, i am jealous. when i'm exhausted i go into the bedroom and close my eyes for 5 seconds before my kids start screaming at me. it's making me tired just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Bull. The tall boy, the kind that makes you think you should be drinking it out of a paper bag.

    But I don't have to worry about naps....I hate naps. I hate sleeping in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, NBM -- can you believe it??

    Randi what do you mean you hate sleeping???!!! You are sick in the head. Just a little. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You call me and I'll watch them while you nap :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's up??

Popular posts from this blog

The Sweetest Little Thing

Pinot's Palette Town Square

Alice in Wonderland Birthday Party